Robert L. Dulaney House
|Location:||602 North 7th Street
Marshall, IL 62441
The Robert L. Dulaney House located at 602 N. 7th Street, Marshall, IL was built circa 1862 as the personal residence of banker and lawyer Robert L. Dulaney. It was typical of that era's architecture in homes built for professionals. It has been well maintained through the years and that continues today.
The home was located in the middle of the block with no other homes on that block. Mr. Dulaney, a lawyer and banker, needed a home with the Italianate architecture and size to indicate his position in the community as a successful professional. The home has two and one-half stories and a basement. The top floor has a 23' x41' ballroom. Bankers and lawyers at that time were looked upon with great respect and always considered to be wealthy.
The Robert L. Dulaney house was the sole residence in the middle of the block on a rise that is one of the highest points in the city. Previous owners subdivided the property with newer homes now surrounding the house. While Italianate style, some later details and minor remodeling added styles that were in vogue in the later 1800's. It was originally in a large grove of oak trees. Some still stand and predate the house.
The Robert L. Dulaney House is located six blocks north of the business district and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The business district and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The business district is located on the Old National Road which later became Route 40. It is seven blocks from the Archer House, constructed in 1841, and also on the National Register.