Natural Gas Safety Precautions
Natural Gas is colorless, odorless, lighter than air, and non-toxic. Breathing natural gas is not harmful as long as there is an adequate supply of fresh air to breath along with it. Natural gas by itself will not burn, but with the proper mixture of gas and air combined with an ignition source combustion can occur.
An odorant that smells like rotten eggs is added to natural gas so that it can be detected. The odor is a warning that natural gas may be present and, if ignited, could result in personal injury or property damage.
If the smell of gas is present inside your home or business (no matter how faint or strong),
- Smoke or strike a match
- Operate any electrical switches or appliance controls,
- Pull an plugs from outlets
- Use a flashlight or lighter
- Use a telephone or cell phone from the building
If you SMELL A FAINT ODOR of natural gas INSIDE YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS check to see if any appliances have been left on accidentally or if a pilot light has been extinguished, which could cause the odor (rotten eggs).
If the odor persists, TAKE NO CHANCES, get out of the house immediately, then call us from a neighbor’s house.
If a STRONG OR PERSISTEN ODOR OF GAS is present IN YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS, or if you hear A HISSING SOUND of escaping natural gas, follow this procedure:
- Get everyone out of the building immediately.
- Leave the door open.
- Use a neighbor’s phone or cellular phone outside of the building to call us.
- If you SMELL OR DETECT NATURAL GAS OUTSIDE, call us.
Leaks from natural gas pipelines are extremely rare, however it is important that you know how to recognize the signs of a leak if one were to occur in your area. A strong odor, hissing sound or dirt blowing up from a hole are signs of a leak.
Move away from and upwind of the suspected pipeline leak before calling us. Do not light matches, smoke, use a cell phone or attempt to start any motor vehicle while in the area of a possible gas leak.