D.D. Doll House
|Location:||515 North 8th Street
Marshall, IL 62441
The D.D. Doll house has Gothic Grant Victorian architecture, named after a queen and a president. Built in 1879 by D.D. Doll after purchasing the ground in 1875. The ground, the highest between Indianapolis and St. Louis. The house was lived in by the original family for 89 years. D.D. Doll's wife was the daughter of John Littlefield publisher of a local magazine "The Messenger". They had 3 children. Virginia Doll sold the house in 1974 to Jim and Peggy Morris.
The home stands 46' tall. Entering through the foyer are the 19th century wooden carved double doors. The house contains 2 parlors, a master bedroom, formal dining room, kitchen and bath room, a winding staircase. There are 4 bedrooms upstairs and a large bathroom all containing their original fixtures which have been electrified. Throughout the home is distinguished woodwork, 12' ceilings down and 11' up. The home has been fully restored inside and out. There was solid walnut flooring in the attic, which was used for molding in the kitchen.
In previous years Virginia Doll allowed Terre Haute Roofing Co. remove the lovely wrought iron around the roof line.