1st Congregational Church
|Location:||202 North 6th Street
Marshall, IL 62441
The First Congregational Church, located at 202 North 6th Street, Marshall, IL, was built in 1908. It was the third building built to accommodate a growing congregation. It has been well maintained throughout the years and that tradition continues today.
The First Congregation Church was the first building in Marshall designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The original First Congregational Church was the first church building in Marshall and many different religious groups met in it at various times until the congregations had their own facilities. The First Congregational Church played a very significant role in the development of Marshall's religious institute.
The sight was bought from the federal government in 1833. Colonel William B. Archer and Joseph Duncan, who went on to become the sixth governor of Illinois, later founded Marshall on September 22, 1835. Marshall was named after the fourth Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court. Lots began selling on September 23, 1835. Due to Marshall's proximity to Cumberland Road (now the National Road) and four railroads traveling through Marshall, it grew steadily. The deed for the lots on which the original church was located was obtained from Mr. Archer on March 9, 1847. He was a close and honored friend of most of the church's charter members. The first church was built on the same site. Just ten short years later a bigger church was needed. It was dedicated February 28, 1909. Gray Construction Company of St. Louis, Missouri, built the church for $17,985. That figure only covered the shell of the church - no windows, pews, lights, or heat was included. After running into money problems, the church received a grant of $2,000 from the Congregational Society of a New York and a loan of $2,500 from the same institute. Pews were ordered and received from a company in Richmond, Indiana. They were shipped by rail. The local carpenters determined that they did not have the skills and training to put the pews together. The company was telegraphed asking them to send a "master" to assemble the pews. Hard work and fund raising by the members helped repay the loan and to finish the work. In February, 1909 the church was dedicated in memory of Reverend Dean Andrews, the church's first pastor and charter member.